Copyright Kent Past 2010
The History of Kent
Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month
History of Strood
Strood comes from the Old English word ‘strōd’ meaning ‘marshy land overgrown with brushwood’. The Textus Roffensis records Strood as Strodes.
Strood parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Nicholas
of Myra. Originally, a small wooden Chapel-
In 1778, engineers suggested a canal be excavated from the Gravesend Marshes, through to Strood, providing the Thames and Medway Rivers with a far more direct connection from London. In 1800, that excavation commenced, with the canal reaching Higham in the following year. However, a chalk cliff, over two miles thick, stood between Higham and Strood, and would be another eighteen years before engineers were able to overcome the obstacle. In 1819, engineers commenced boring a 35 foot wide tunnel through the chalk face, which when completed, in 1824, became England’s longest tunnel.
Unfortunately, the canal did not support the financial return originally envisaged, and the 'Gravesend & Rochester Railway' opened a line through the tunnels from Denton to Strood on 10 February 1844.
Having received Parliamentary approval for the construction of the North Kent Line, the purchased the route at the end of 1845. They drained the canal, within the tunnel, filled the eight feet deep bed, laid a double-