Copyright Kent Past 2010
The History of Kent
Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month
History of Frindsbury
Frindsbury comes from the Old English ‘burh’ meaning a ‘fortified place, stronghold’ combined with a personal name; therefore, ‘Freond’s fortification’. The Domesday Book records Frindsbury as Frandesberie.
In 764, King Offa of Mercia and Sigered granted 20 sulungs (4000 -
Frindsbury parish church is dedicated to All Saints. The Normans built the church around 1127, with additions and extensions in the following 200 years. William Burford cast and hung two bells around 1300. Giles Reve added another bell in 1584, with John Wilnar casting a bell in 1637 and a tenor the following year. An unknown Dutch founder cast a Sanctus bell in 1670. In 1797, Edward Hasted described the Frindsbury church as consisting of ‘two isles and a chancel, with a spire steeple at the west end, in which is a peal of five bells and a small one’. In 1824, the Georgians replaced the nave and south aisle windows. The architect, J L Pearson, carried out a heavy restoration in 1883, including adding a new north aisle, an organ-