Copyright Kent Past 2010

Kent Past


The History of Kent

Home Towns & Villages Time-Line Articles Kent Past Times Contact

Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month

History of Allhallows

Allhallows or Hoo Allhallows comes from the Old English ‘hōh’ meaning a ‘heel; sharp projecting piece of ground’ and ‘hālga’ as a ‘saint’; therefore a ‘spur of land’ with the affix from the church of All Saints.


Allhallows parish church is dedicated to All Saints. The Normans built it in the 12th century, and rebuilt in 1252 as a Chapel-of-Ease to St Warburgh until 1327 when the Bishop of Rochester made it a parish in its own right. The architect Ewan Christian restored the church in the 1880’s.


The Romans used the nearby Yantlet creek for trade, although due to silting its viability as a trading route diminished. Sited at the mouth of the creek is the London Stone, erected by the Victorians, it replaced a much earlier marker of 1285. The marker, which has its opposite number on the Essex shoreline, depicts the boundary of the City of London's conservators administration over the river, as granted by Edward I’s charter of 1285.

After the First World War, the Kent and London County Councils planned to redevelop
Allhallows, to rival that of Blackpool. According to newspaper reports at the time, the amusement park was to be four times bigger than the one at the northern resort. There would also be a zoo, yachting centre and a lido with artificial waves, the first such pool in Europe. The development, which would have covered more than two and a half square miles, had plans to include a holiday camp, restaurants, theatres and cinemas. Unfortunately, due primarily to the outbreak of the Second World war, the councils eventually abandoned the project.

However,
Allhallows-on-Sea railway station opened on 16 May 1932, in preparation for thousands of expected visitors to the resort. In the first year of opening, the line carried 6500 passenger, much to the encouragement of the railway, who proceeded with improvements to the station. Sadly, that level of demand was never to be repeated, and the station closed in 1961.....more


On the morning of 15 October 1940, Pilot Officer J W Lund bailed out of his Spitfire R6642 following an altercation with a Messerschmitt Bf109. The aircraft crashed on the shoreline of the River Medway near Allhallows at 11.50am. The Navy rescued the pilot, although his aircraft remained a wreck on the tidal mudflats of the village until the summer of 1998.






View Larger Map