Home Towns & Villages Time-Line Articles Kent Past Times Contact

Kent Past


The History of Kent

Copyright Kent Past 2010

All Hallows-on-Sea Station

Following the notice given, by the London and Kent County Councils joint committee, of the plan to development Allhallows into a holiday centre on a par with Blackpool, the Southern Railway decided to extend its Hoo Peninsula line.

Initially the line was single track, and branched off at, what would become, 'Stoke Junction'. The Allhallows-on-Sea line was opened 14th May 1932, with a station, which consisted of a single platform, and some 400 yards from the beach. Adjacent to the station building, which ran parallel to the tracks at the northern end of the platform, was the signal box.

Following the success in the first year's receipts, where 6500 passengers had travelled to the station, SR commenced an upgrade programme. A new longer, covered platform was added following the line being double tracked from Stoke Junction. The original platform was extended and covered. The freight sidings increased, with a turntable being added.

Unfortunately, the first year's passenger numbers would never be replicated and following World War II, the redevelopment plans were scrapped. The new Southern Region did not immediately close the station, despite the spur line being loss making, in fact it remained open until 3rd December 1961.

Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month