Copyright Kent Past 2010
The History of Kent
Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month
History of Chiddingstone
Chiddingstone comes from the Old English ‘stān’ meaning a ‘stone, rock’ with ‘ing’ as a ‘connective particle, linking the first and last elements’ combined with a personal name; therefore, ‘Stone connected with Cidd or Cidda’. The Textus Roffensis records Chiddingstone as Cidingstane.
Chiddingstone parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Mary
the Virgin. There is a record of a Saxon Chapel, although the present building dates
to the 13th century, with major rebuilding in the following 100 years. The Tower
is a 15th century addition as are the windows in the side wall of the north aisle.
Rebuilding took place of the south porch, the south wall of the south aisle, the
nave and chancel roof in 1624 following a fire caused by lightning. In 1628, there
is a record of five bells in the tower. On 24 July 1629, the Bishop of Rochester
In the early 1800’s Henry Streatfield rebuilt a medieval manor house to look like a medieval castle. However, building work ceased before the castles completion due to lack of funds. In 1938, the Streatfield family sold the building. Since that time, military forces in WW2 used the castle, as did a school and finally housing Denys Bower collection of art and artefacts.
Chiddingstone possess one of the oldest surviving rural shops in England, the street where it stands is also one of the most pleasing in Kent… more