Wichling [pronounced 'Which-ling'] comes from the Old English ‘ingas’ meaning the
‘people of, people called after’ combined with a warlord’s name; therefore, ‘people
of Wincel’. The Domesday Book chronicles Wichling as Winchelesmere meaning ‘Wincel’s
pool or boundary’
Wichling parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Margaret.
The Normans built the church in the 12th century with additions and extensions in
the 14th and 15th centuries. In 1798, Edward Hasted describes the church as consisting
‘of one small isle and a chancel, having a low pointed steeple at the west end of
it’. Joseph Clarke heavily restored the Wichling church in 1882-3.