Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month
History of Waldershare
Waldershare comes from the Anglian word ‘wald’ meaning a ‘forest, high forest land’
with the Old English words ‘ware’ for ‘dwellers’ and ‘scearu’ for a ‘share, division’;
therefore, ‘district of the forest dwellers’. The Domesday Book chronicles Waldershare
Waldershare, redundant, parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to
All Saints. The Normans built it in the 12th century, with two mortuary chapels added
in 1679 by Sir Robert Furnese and the other by Sir Edward Monins in 1712. In 1800,
Edward Hasted described All Saints church as a ‘small mean building, consisting of
a body and chancel, having a wooden turret at the west end, in which hangs one bell.
It is almost overgrown with ivy’. In 1886, the architect Ewan Christian restored
and virtually rebuilt the church. Further rebuilding took place in 1902. All Saints
was made redundant on 1 June 1980 and taken under the wing of the Churches Conservation
Trust on 27 June 2006.