Underriver comes from the Old English ‘sub le ryver’ meaning ‘under the hill’.
Underriver parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Margaret.
Underriver became an ecclesiastical parish in 1866. Sir George Gilbert Scot designed
the church in 1867, as a memorial to Margaret Pearson Davison, whose son John contributed
most of the cost. Although, the builder, Henry Constable completed the construction
in 1867, consecration did not take place until 16 July 1875. In 1930 W D Caroe, added
a two storey organ chamber and vestry.