Temple Ewell comes from the Anglian word ‘æwell’ meaning a ‘river source’, with the
Middle English prefix ‘temple’ as a ‘temple; usually in allusion to properties of
the Knights Templar’ - the Knights Templar possessed the site from the 12th century.
The Domesday Book chronicles Temple Ewell as Etwelle or Ewelle.
Temple Ewell parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Peter
and Saint Paul. The Templars built the church in the 12th century with additions
in the following 100 years. Following the Templars suppression in 1312, the Knights
Hospitaller took over the manor and made improvements to the church. In 1603, Joseph
Hatch cast and hung, one of his first bells, in the Temple Ewell church, and completed
a ring of three in 1610. Despite the sale of two bells, the first Hatch bell remains.
In 1800, Edward Hasted, in his topographical survey described the church as ‘an antient
building, consisting of only one isle and a chancel, having a low square tower at
the west end.’ The architect Talbot Bury carried out extensive restoration in 1870.