Copyright Kent Past 2010
The History of Kent
Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month
History of Swanscombe
Swanscombe comes from the Old English ‘camp’ meaning a ‘field, an enclosed piece of land’ combined with a Danish warrior; therefore ‘Swaine’s enclosure’. The Domesday Book chronicles Swanscombe as Suinescamp.
Bone fragments and tools, representing the earliest humans to have lived in England,
were at the 'Barnfield Pit' about 2 km outside the village. Swanscombe Man (now thought
to be female) is a late Homo Erectus or an early Archaic Homo sapiens. Lower levels
of the 'Barnfield Pit' yielded evidence of Clactonian Man, an even earlier, human.
Nearby digs on land for the Channel Tunnel Rail Link revealed a c. 400,000 years
old site with human tools and the remains of a Straight-
Robert Catlin cast a ring of six bells in 1751. After the destruction of the bells and frame in the lightning strike of 1902, Mears and Stainbank cast a new ring of eight in 1904.
Swanscombe railway station started life as a ‘halt’ on the South Eastern and Chatham
Railway’s North Kent Line on 2 November 1908. Later on the 6 July 1930 the Southern
Railway made Swanscombe into a fully-