Sutton Valance comes from the Old English words ‘sūð’ meaning ‘south, southern’,
with ‘tūn’ as an ‘enclosure, a farmstead’ combined with a warlord’s name; therefore
a ‘south farm/settlement’ with the affix from William de Valance, half-brother to
King Henry III, who granted the village to him. The Domesday Book chronicles Sutton
Sutton Valance parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Mary
the Virgin. A church stood on the site in Saxon times, although, Mathew Habershon,
the 19th century architect rebuilt the near collapsed 15th century church, in 1823.
Edward Hasted provides a description of the old church in his 1798 topographical
survey, stating it ‘is a handsome church, the steeple stands on the north side of
it, and had a high spire on it formerly, the upper half of which having been burnt
down by lightning, it is at that part flat and covered with lead’. G M Hills made
additional alterations in 1874. In 1723, Richard Phelps cast the only surviving bell
from the ring of four.