Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month
Stone in Oxney comes from the Old English word ‘stān’ meaning a ‘stone, rock’. The
name probably refers to the Roman stone altar sited in Stone church.
Stone parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary the Virgin and dates to the early
part of the 15th century. John Danyell cast and hung a bell around 1450. There is
a record of five bells in 1552. William and Thomas Mears completed the ring of six
with the addition of a treble bell in 1788. Edward Hasted describes the Stone church
in his topographical survey of 1799. He writes how the church ‘is a handsome building,
consisting of three isles and three chancels, having a square tower, with a beacon
turret, at the west end, in which hang six bells, one of which has been lately added.’
The village school used the north chapel as a classroom until the 19th century, when
it transferred to its own premises. Following the move in 1874, Ewan Christian restored
the east end of the church and provided many of the chancel fittings.