Copyright Kent Past 2010

Kent Past


The History of Kent

Home Towns & Villages Time-Line Articles Kent Past Times Contact

Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month


View Larger Map

History of Stanford

Stanford comes from the Old English words ‘stān’ meaning a ‘stone, rock’ and ‘ford’ as a ‘ford’; therefore, ‘stone ford’. 


Stanford parish church is dedicated to All Saints, and built in 1841 replacing an earlier construction. Initially it only consisted of a chancel and the windows from the mediaeval church, with the nave added in 1878…. More


Edward Hasted described the earlier church in his topographical survey of 1799 as a ‘small mean building, and consists of one isle and one chancel, having a low pointed turret at the west end, in which are two bells.’ He continues ‘The church of Stanford has always been esteemed as a chapel to the church of Liminge; the rector of which is inducted to the rectory of Liminge, with the chapels of Padlesworth and Stanford annexed, under which parish a further account of it may be seen.’