Copyright Kent Past 2010

Kent Past


The History of Kent

Home Towns & Villages Time-Line Articles Kent Past Times Contact

Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month


View Larger Map

History of St Peter’s

St Peter’s takes its name from the church and first recorded in 1254 as ‘Borgha Sancti Petri’ the ‘Borough of St Peter’.


St Peter’s parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Peter the Apostle. The Normans built it in the early part of the 12th century, with additions in the 14th century and the North-West perpendicular, battlement tower in the following 100 years. In 1723, there is a record of six bells in the tower. In 1799, Edward Hasted described the church as being ‘a small structure which has something pleasing in the appearance of it. It is built, as the rest of the churches are hereabouts, of flints, covered with rough-cast, and the quoins, windows and doors cased with ashlar stone, only the porch has more workmanship used about it; above are stone battlements; the roof is covered with lead, and the portal or door way has a mitred arch of wrought stone. It consists of a nave with a small isle on each side of it, a large middle chancel, and a smaller one on the north side of it, part of which is now made into a vestry’. The Gothic Revival architect, Joseph Clarke carried out major restoration works between 1852 and 1859. In 1892, Mears and Stainbank added two treble bells to complete the octave.