Jefferstone became known as St Mary’s Bay, with the outbreak of WWI and the creation
of an emergency landing strip. In the 1920’s, it developed as a popular seaside resort,
with the building of both holiday and residential homes. Following WWII, a number
of holiday camps and later caravan sites emerged.
Until the 1930’s a local garage, held weekly services as no church existed. In 1938,
parishioner built a new church of modern design, dedicated to All Saints. With the
church came the creation of the St Mary’s Bay parish.