Snave comes from the Old English ‘snafa’ meaning a ‘spit or strip of land’; therefore,
a ‘spit of land’.
Snave parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Augustine,
and built in the 13th century with additions and extensions in the following 200
years. In 1552, there is a record of three bells in the tower. In 1799, Edward Hasted
described Snave church as consisting of ‘only one isle and one chancel of equal length,
and a small one on the north side. It is built of sand-stone, and embattled all round,
having a tower steeple, with a beacon turret, at the west end, in which are two bells’.
In 1873, the Dover architect C T Whitely carried out a heavy restoration. On 19 October
1983, the church became part of the Declaration of Redundancy Scheme, and on 18 May
1984 coming under the care of the Romney Marsh Historic Churches Trust.