Sissinghurst comes from the Old English ‘hyrst’ meaning a ‘wooded hill’ combined
with an uncertain first element probably a warlord’s name.
Sissinghurst parish church is dedicated to Holy Trinity and built in 1838, by the
architect J Jennings and paid for out of public subscription. Although, Jennings
built it as a simple rectangle auditory, it became necessary in 1893 to add a chancel,
with further additions in the 1990’s. It replaced Mylkhouse Street Chapel - a Chapel-of-Ease
to Cranbrook- which opened in 1401 and closed in 1548.