Sholden comes from the Old English ‘scofl’ meaning a ‘shovel; shovel shaped strip’
together with ‘dūn’ as a ‘hill’; therefore, a ‘shovel-shaped hill’. The description
of Sholden by Edward Hasted in 1800 notes that ‘the upland part of it forms a kind
of peninsula westward, which is surrounded on three sides by the wet land and marshes’.
Sholden parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Nicholas.
The Normans built the church originally, although, rebuilt it in the 13th century,
with the addition of windows and a tower a century later. In 1623, Thomas Bartlett
cast two bells, and John Hodson added a third in 1675. In 1800, Edward Hasted described
St Nicholas’ church as consisting of a ‘nave and a chancel; it is of a good size
and well built, having a square tower steeple at the west end, in which are three
bells. The church is ceiled, and kept very neat’. The Victorians carried out a heavy
restoration in the 19th century. Bomb damage received in 1941 resulted in the church
being out of action until November 1947.