Shadoxhurst comes from the Old English ‘hyrst’ meaning a ‘wooded hill’, probably
combined with a warlord’s name.
Shadoxhurst parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Peter
and Saint Paul. It dates to the late 13th century, with the rebuilding of the nave
in the 14th century. In 1798, Edward Hasted described the Shadoxhurst church as being
‘a very small mean building, consisting of one isle and one chancel. At the west
end is a wooden building, with a small turret, in which hang three bells. The whole
seems in a ruinous state’. The Victorians carried out a thorough restoration in the