Copyright Kent Past 2010
The History of Kent
Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month
History of Saltwood
Saltwood comes from the Anglian word ‘salt’ meaning ‘salt, possibly also brine pit,
Saltwood Castle is a Grade: I listed building. In 488AD, Oisc -
Edward Hasted describes the castle ruins, in 1799, as being ‘very spacious and magnificent.
The outward walls are partly remaining, being of an oval from, within which is a
very broad and deep moat, now dry. The inner gatehouse, which has but lately been
made use of as a farm-
The Archbishop of Canterbury restored Saltwood Castle in the 19th century when he started to use it as a residence again. Herman Goring ordered the Luftwaffe, during WWII, not to bomb Hythe as he planned to make Saltwood his home following the invasion. In 1955, Kenneth Clark purchased the castle, and it still remains in that family.
Saltwood parish church is a Grade: II listed building; dedicated to Saint Peter and Saint Paul. The Normans built it towards the end of the 11th century, with extensions and additions in the following three centuries. In 1552, there is a record of four bells in the tower. In 1723, John Waylett added a tenor to make five bells. Edward Hasted describes the church, in 1799, as ‘handsome and well built, consisting of two isles and a chancel. The southern isle is very wide and spacious, having a very fine span roof of timber over it; the northern one is very low and narrow. At the west end is a square tower, having a tiled ridge roof on it, which disfigures the rest of the building much. There are four bells in it.’
The Victorians carried out restoration work to the Saltwood church in the late 1800’s, with most of the stained glass windows supplied by Clayton and Bell. In 1912, Mears and Stainbank recast the bells into a heavier ring of six and rehung them in a new frame.