Plaxtol comes from the Old English 'plax' meaning 'play' and 'tol' as 'area', therefore,
a ‘play area’.
Plaxtol church is a Grade: II listed building, and has no dedication,
having been built in 1649 during Cromwell's Commonwealth. The church remained unaltered
until 1885, when the Victorians added the transepts and chancel…. more
The Romanised Briton, Cabriabanti, - first Plaxtol inhabitant –worked as a potter
and tile maker, stamping his tiles “Cabriabanti fecit” – made by Cabriabanti. He
worked at the large Roman villa, the remains of which locals found on the banks of
the Bourne (near Allen’s Farm).