The History of Kent
Copyright Kent Past 2010
The Oldest Shop in England
Chiddingstone possess one of the oldest surviving rural shops in England, the street
where it stands is also one of the most pleasing in Kent.
The shop was first recorded in a deed of 1453, when owned by William Hunt. It was by far the largest in the row and comprised a hall and cross wing. The double-
Hunt and his neighbour, Roger Attwood joined
Unlike Hunt, Sir Thomas Boleyn sought to charm and ingratiate his own monarch, Henry VIII. Intelligent and well-
The building next to Chiddingstone Stores, in the middle of the row, has the initials of, the onetime occupants, George Beecher and his wife Jane Elye, carved above the parlour fireplace and dated 1638 – a lasting and tangible expression of their affection for each other. Of the half dozen, houses that make up the street, this is perhaps the most impressive in appearance; with stout oak pillars upon stone plinths, which form the porch, and support the overhanging upper floor.
This remarkable building harmonises with the adjoining houses of steeply-
Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month