Nurstead comes from the Old English ‘hnutu’ meaning a ‘nut’ with ‘stede’ as a ‘place,
site, locality’; therefore, a ‘nut place’. The Domesday Book chronicles Nurstead
as Notestede, and the Textus Roffensis as Hnutstede.
Nurstead parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to, the Kentish,
Saint Mildred, and originally built in the late medieval period with a nave, chancel
and west tower. In 1797, Edward Hasted described St Mildred’s church as a ‘small
building, with a square tower at the west end of it’. The Victorians carried out
a heavy restoration in the 19th century.