Matfield comes from the Old English ‘feld’ meaning ‘open country, unencumbered ground’
combined with a warlord’s name; therefore, ‘Matta’s open country’.
Matfield church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Luke. The architect
Basil Champneys built it, in the gothic style, as a Chapel-of-Ease to All Saints,
Brenchley, between 1874 and 1876. He designed it with a short tower for a single
bell, chancel, nave and aisle for a congregation of over 200.