Luddesdown (pronounced Ludsdun) comes from the Old English ‘dūn’ meaning a ‘hill’
combined with a warlord’s name; therefore, ‘Hlud’s hill’. The Domesday Book chronicles
Luddesdown as Ledesdune and the Textus Roffensis as Hludesdune.
Luddesdown parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Peter
and Saint Paul, and built in the 13th century as part of the manor, following the
church reforms introduced by Henry III. In 1866, R P Pope carried out some restoration
work including re-roofing of the nave and adding some particularly fine wall paintings.
In 1883, Thomas Earp carved an Ewan Christian designed reredos of the Last Supper.
There is no record to accompany the six bells, at this time.