Longfield comes from the Old English ‘Lang’ meaning ‘long, tall’ and ‘feld’ as ‘open
ground, unencumbered ground’; therefore, ‘long stretch of open country’. The Domesday
Book chronicles Longfield as Langafel.
Longfield parish church is a Grade: II listed building; dedicated to Saint Mary Magdalene.
The Normans built the church in the 11th century with additions and extensions in
the 13th and 14th centuries. In 1797, Edward Hasted described St Mary’s church as
‘a small mean building… (consisting) of one isle and a chancel, having a low pointed
steeple at the west end, in which hangs one bell’. The Victorians carried out major
restoration and alterations in the 19th century.
Longfield railway station opened as ‘Fawkham for Hartley and Longfield’ onthe London
Chatham and Dover Railway’s London Victoria to Dover main line, on 12 June 1872.
The Fawkham name appeared on the boards following requests from the owner of Fawkham
Manor, despite the station being within Longfield village, and one mile away from
Fawkham. In June 1961, British Railways renamed the station ‘Longfield’.