Littlestone acquired its name in the 19th century from a headland called Little Stone,
formerly a nearby coastal feature.
Sir Robert Perks _ a property developer – and
a surveyor Henry Tubbsstarted Littlestone in the 1880’s as a resort for the gentry.
Initially they built a house for Sir Robert and a row of terraced houses to complement
the Grand Hotel and a Methodist church. The two men laid out Littlestone golf course
- a popular attraction, with Members of Parliament and Government ministers.