Langton Green comes from the Old English ‘leah’ meaning ‘long filed or woodland’
with ‘tun’ as a ‘settlement or farmstead’, therefore, a ‘woodland settlement’.
Langton Green parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to All Saints.
The architect, Sir George Gilbert Scott, built it as a Chapel-at-Ease to Speldhurst,
by public subscription. The Powell family – as in Baden Powell - donated the land.
Initially, designed as a two cell structure, it grew with the addition of the north
aisle in 1888, south aisle in 1901 and a vestry in 1911.