Langley comes from the Old English ‘lang’ meaning ‘long, tall’ with ‘lēah’ as a ‘forest,
wood, clearing’; therefore, a ‘long wood/clearing’. The Domesday Book records Langley
Langley parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Mary the
Virgin. The architect William Butterfield built it in 1855 for Dr Edward Pusey’s
younger brother, in an identical size and shape to the medieval church it replaced.