Knowlton comes from the Old English ‘cnoll’ meaning a ‘knoll, small rounded hill’
and ‘tūn’ as an ‘enclosure, a farmstead, a village’; therefore, a 'hillock farm/settlement'.
The Domesday Book records Knowlton as Chenoltone.
Knowlton church is dedicated to
Saint Clement and built as a private chapel to Knowlton Court in the 14th and 15th
centuries. It later became the parish church. In 1855, the architect William White
carried out a restoration replacing the windows, pulpit, box pews and chancel gate.
On 1 December 1991, the Churches Conservation Trust took it under their wing.