Copyright Kent Past 2010

Kent Past


The History of Kent

Home Towns & Villages Time-Line Articles Kent Past Times Contact

Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month


View Larger Map

History of Kennington

Kennington comes from the Old English ‘cyne’ meaning ‘kingly, royal’ with ‘tūn’ as an ‘enclosure, a farmstead, a village’; therefore, a ‘royal farm/settlement’. The Domesday Book records Kennington as Chenetone.


Kennington parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Mary the Virgin. The Normans built it, although completely rebuilt the church in the late 13th and early 14th centuries. In 1552, there is a record of five bells, three of which William Oldfield cast in 1550. In 1798, Edward Hasted described St Mary’s church as consisting of ‘one isle and two chancels, with a small lower chancel on the south side. It has a tower steeple, with a beacon turret at the west end, in which are five bells’. In 1878, the Victorians carried out a major restoration. Mears and Stainbank added a treble, to make six bells, in 1883…. more

.