Copyright Kent Past 2010

Kent Past


The History of Kent

Home Towns & Villages Time-Line Articles Kent Past Times Contact

Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month


View Larger Map

History of Hoath

Hoath comes from the Old English ‘̄ð’ meaning ‘heather, a tract of uncultivated land’; therefore, a ‘heath’.


Hoath church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to the Holy Cross – originally Saint Mary and Holy Trinity. The Normans built the nave in the 12th century as a Chapel-of-Ease to St Mary’s, Reculver. The villagers had to travel to Reculver to bury their dead until 1303, when Pope Boniface VIII let Hoath have its own churchyard and font. In 1310, Archbishop Winchelsey appointed a dedicated priest to Reculver and Hoath. Early in the 16th century, Richard Kerner cast and hung a bell, with John Wood adding two more in 1696. In 1800, Edward Hasted described the Hoath church as dedicated to ‘the Virgin Mary and the Holy Trinity. It is a small neat building, of one isle and a chancel, having a low square turret of wood at the west end, in which hang three bells’. In 1867, the architect Joseph Clarke heavily restored the church adding a new north aisle and arcade, together with new fittings including a font and pulpit…. more