Home Towns & Villages Time-Line Articles Kent Past Times Contact

Kent Past


The History of Kent

Copyright Kent Past 2010

History of Foord Viaduct

The South Eastern Railway commenced through running between London Bridge and Ashford on 1st December 1842, and this was then followed by an extension of services through to Folkestone on 28th June of the following year. However, at Folkestone, the company had to establish temporary passenger facilities; the desired location of a permanent station resided on the eastern side of the Foord Valley, and to fill the breach, the SER was required to take the route over a viaduct of unprecedented height. A viaduct comprising nineteen arches, the tallest of which towered 100-feet in the air, was erected across the valley in less than six months, a remarkable achievement given the sheer scale of the structure. Trains began running over the viaduct and using a permanent Folkstone (note the initial lack of a central 'e') station on 18th December 1843. Strengthened by British Rail, using additional steel tie rods within the arches, the structure remains the world's highest arched brick viaduct. It received Grade II Listed status in 1975, and joins Eynsford, Horton Kirby, and even Folkestone Harbour on a list of impressive viaducts on the South Eastern Division.

Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month