Ham comes from the Old English ‘hamm’ meaning ‘land hemmed in by water or marsh’;
therefore, ‘hemmed-in land’. The Domesday Book records Ham as Hama.
The once parish church of Ham, dedicated to Saint George and described by Edward
Hasted, in 1800, as a ‘small mean building. It consists of a nave and chancel, having
a small wooden pointed turret at the west end, in which is one bell’, is now redundant
and used as a stained glass studio.