Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month
History of Frinsted
Frinsted comes from the Old English ‘friðen’ meaning ‘protected, safe, secure’; therefore,
a ‘place of protection’. The Domesday Book records Frinsted as Fredenestede.
Frinsted parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Dunstan.
The Normans built it in the 12th century with additions and extensions over the next
200 years, although not constructing the tower until the 15th century. Richard Phelps
cast and hung four bells in 1713. In 1798, Edward Hasted described the Frinsted church
as consisting of ‘two isles and two chancels…It has a square beacon tower at the
west end of it, in which hang four bells’. In 1851, only a cracked tenor bell remained
this Charles and George Mears recast. R C Hussey widened the aisle in 1861. In 1868,
Robert Stainbank added four bells. The architect, Sir George Gilbert Scott, carried
out a complete restoration in 1870. Whitechapel rehung the bells in a new frame and
added a treble, to make six.