Copyright Kent Past 2010
The History of Kent
Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month
History of Eastwell
Eastwell parish church is a Grade: II listed building, with a dedication to Saint
Mary the Virgin. It dates to the 13th century with a 15th century tower. In 1798,
Edward Hasted described the Eastwell church as consisting of ‘two isles and two chancels,
having a square embattled tower at the west end, in which hang three bells. It is
an antient building of slint, with ashler stone round the windows, which are small,
and of only one compartment’. They built the church using chalk blocks, which socked
up water during the construction of a lake in the 1940’s. This combined with WW2
bombing, caused the roof to collapse in 1951. Many of the walls had then to be demolished
until only the footings, the tower, and the 19th-
The manor belonged anciently to a family of its own name, although, passed successively
to the families of Hales, Moyle, Finch, Heneage, and Hatton.
Richard, the last Plantagenet, a natural son of Richard III, took refuge in Eastwell after the battle of Bosworth; working as a mason until identified by Sir Thomas Moyle. He built a small house, on the estate, in which he lived until his death. They demolished the house towards the end of the 17th century.