Eastling comes from the Old English ‘ingas’ meaning the ‘people of, people called
after’ combined with a personal name; therefore, ‘People of Esla’. The Domesday Book
records Eastling as Eslinges.
Eastling parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Mary the
Virgin. The Normans built the nave, chancel and tower in the 11th century. They added
the north and south aisles and extended the nave in the 13th century with further
extensions and additions in the following century. Richard Phelps cast and hung a
ring of six bells in 1717. The Victorian architect Richard Hussey rebuilt the nave,
north aisle, south arcade and added the west porch in 1856.