Copyright Kent Past 2010
The History of Kent
Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month
History of East Peckham
East Peckham comes from the Old English ‘pēac’ meaning a ‘knoll, hill, peak’ with ‘hām’ as a ‘village an estate, homestead’; therefore a ‘homestead/village at a peak’. The prefix ‘east’ distinguishes it from West Peckham. The Domesday Book records East Peckham as Pecheham and the Textus Roffensis as Pecham.
East Peckham redundant parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to
Saint Michael. The present church dates to the 14th century when it replaced a 10th
century Saxon Building. Robert Catlin cast and hung two bells in 1747, with William
Mears adding two more in 1785. In 1798, Edward Hasted described the East Peckham
church as a ‘fair large building, with a square tower at the west end. It stands
near the summit of the hill almost adjoining to the southern pales of Mereworth-
East Peckham parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to the Holy
Trinity. The Victorian architects Whichcord and Walker built the two cell church
in 1842, following the neo-
Walter Arnold of East Peckham received the first speeding fine in England of 1 shilling, on 28 January 1896, for travelling at 8 mph in a 2mph area. A policeman on a bicycle apprehended Mr Arnold.