Ditton comes from the Old English ‘dic’ meaning a ‘ditch – usually an excavated trench,
either defensive or for drainage’ with ‘tūn’ as an ‘enclosure, a farmstead, a village’;
therefore, a ‘ditch farm/settlement’. The Domesday Book records Ditton as Dictune.
Ditton parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Peter and
Vincula. The Normans built it in the 12th century and added the two-stage tower in
the 15th century. In 1656, William Hatch cast and hung a treble bell in the tower.
John Waylett added another bell in 1717. In 1798, Edward Hasted described the Ditton
church as a ‘small building, with a square tower at the west end’. In 1825, an unknown
founder cast a priest’s bell. The Victorian architect Sir George Gilbert Scott restored
the church in 1859. John Warner added a treble bell in 1897, to complete a ring of