Crockenhill comes from the Old English ‘crundel’ meaning a ‘chalk-pit, quarry’ with
‘hyll’ as a ‘hill’; therefore a ‘quarry on the hill’.
Following the reformation and the closure of Dartford Priory, to whom Crockenhill
belonged, Henry VIII passed it to Sir Percival Hart, of Lullingstone in 1540. It
remained a part of Lullingstone, until the breaking up of the estate in 1930.
Crockenhill church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to All Souls. The Victorian
architect William Nash, who had local connections, built the church in 1852, with
money raised through local subscription. He styled it on the 13th century, with windows
designed by Ward and Hughes and William Wailes.