Copyright Kent Past 2010
The History of Kent
Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month
History of Burmarsh
Burmarsh comes from the Old English ‘burh-
The Romans obtained salt for the Empire from the area. Burmarsh is one of the earliest known Romney Marsh settlements. St Augustine's Priory at Canterbury held the manor of Burmarsh prior to 1066.
Burmarsh parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to All Saints. The original Saxon chapel formed the chancel with the extension of the church in the 11th century. Further extensions and additions took place in the 13th century, with the construction of the West tower in the 15th century. In the 1380 ’s, William Burford cast and hung two bells, with John Danyell adding a tenor around 1450. In 1798 Edward Hasted described the Burmarsh church as being ‘handsome, consisting of one isle and a chancel, having a tower at the west end, which, as well as the isle, is embattled. In it are three bells. It is kept very clean and neat’. The Victorians heavily restored the church in 1897. In 1899, Mears and Stainbank cast two trebles to complete a ring of five. They replaced the 1450 bell and added a treble bringing the total to six in 1926…. more
Burmarsh Road railway station opened on the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, on 16 July 1927. It closed, through lack of use, in 1949.