Copyright Kent Past 2010

Kent Past


The History of Kent

Home Towns & Villages Time-Line Articles Kent Past Times Contact

Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month


View Larger Map

History of Bredhurst

Bredhurst comes from the Old English ‘bred’ meaning a ‘board, plank’ with ‘hyrst’ as a ‘wooded hill’; therefore, a ‘wooded-hill where boards are obtained’.


Bredhurst parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Peter. The Normans first built the church in the late 11th or early 12th century, with additions in the next 100 years. In 1798, Edward Hasted described the Bredhurst church as a ‘small mean building, consisting of one isle and one chancel, having a low pointed steeple at the west end of it, in which hang two bells; adjoining to it on the south side there is a small chapel, now shut out from the church’. The Victorian architect Ewan Christian carried out an urgent restoration in 1866, which the Rev H C Day referred to in a small booklet published upon its completion:

The old Nave had been pulled down, rebuilt, and enlarged, and the present chancel arch erected in place of a much smaller one. The chancel was re-roofed, and a bell gable erected. The South Chapel, all private right to which had been given up, was restored and the arches opened into the chancel, it having been desecrated for many years’…. more