Copyright Kent Past 2010
The History of Kent
Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month
History of Brasted
Brasted comes from the Old English ‘brād’ meaning ‘broad, spacious’ with ‘stede’ as a ‘place, site, locality’; therefore, a ‘broad place’. The Domesday Book records Brasted as Briestede, and the Textus Roffensis as Bradestede.
Brasted parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Martin of Tours. The Saxons built the first church on the site, which the Normans subsequently rebuilt in the 12th and 13th centuries. They added the west tower in the following century. There is a record of a ring of four bells in 1530, which Richard Phelps recast into a ring of six in 1730. In 1797, Edward Hasted describes the Brasted church as consisting of ‘three isles and two chancels’. In 1865, the Victorian architect, Alfred Waterhouse carried out significant structural repairs by adding buttresses to the tower, ad rebuilding other sections of the church. The War Damage Commission paid for restoration following losses in WWII. Peake Short and partners reroofed and partially rebuilt the church following a fire in 1989. In 2005, Whitechapel retuned all the bells and augmented them to eight…. more
Brasted railway station opened on the South Eastern Railway’s Westerham branch line from Dunton Green, on 7 July 1881. British Railways closed the line on 28 October 196, due to it being loss making…. more