Copyright Kent Past 2010

Kent Past


The History of Kent

Home Towns & Villages Time-Line Articles Kent Past Times Contact

Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month


View Larger Map

History of Borough Green

Borough Green comes from the Old English ‘grene’ meaning ‘green place’; added to an earlier place-name of either ‘burh’ as ‘fortification’ or ‘borg’ for ‘borough, manor, stronghold’.


The position of the village, on the Gravesend to Hastings road, resulted in a number of inns opening between the 16th and 19th centuries. 

Borough Green Railway Station opened as ‘Wrotham and Borough Green’ on the ‘Sevenoaks, Maidstone and Tonbridge Railway’s Otford to Maidstone extension, on 1 June 1874. On 18 June 1962, Southern Region renamed the station to the more logical ‘Borough Green and Wrotham’…. more


Borough Green parish church is dedicated to the Good Shepherd. The villagers built the church, which the Bishop of Rochester consecrated on 5 July 1906, as a Chapel-of-Ease to St George’s, Wrotham. Borough Green became a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1976.