Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month
History of Betteshanger
Betteshanger comes from the Old English ‘bytle’ meaning a ‘building, house’ with
‘hangra’ as a ‘gentle sloping wood’; therefore, ‘wooded slope by a building’. The
Domesday Book records Betteshanger as Bedesham.
Betteshanger parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Mary
the Virgin. The Normans built the church in the 12th century. In 1800, Edward Hasted
described the Betteshanger church as a ‘small mean building, consisting of a nave
and chancel, both which are kept uncommonly neat’. In 1853, the Victorian architect,
Anthony Salvin, completely rebuilt the church in imitation of St Nicholas, Barfreston.
Sir Walter James, 1st Baron Northbourne of Betteshanger, paid for the rebuild. The
new church hung a bell which William Oldfield had cast in the mid-16th century, together
with two additional bells, by John Warner in 1854 and Charles and George Mears in
Having purchased the mineral rights to large areas of Kent Dorman Long & Co opened
the Betteshanger Colliery - reaching coal in 1927 – and becoming the biggest Kent