Bethersden comes from the Old English ‘denn’ meaning ‘woodland pasture’ combined
with a personal name; therefore, ‘Beaduric’s woodland pasture’.
Bethersden parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Margaret.
The Normans first built the church in the 12th century, although rebuilt it in the
mid-14th century, and added the tower 100 years later. There is a record of five
bells in 1552, including one cast by Peter de Weston in 1335. In 1662, William Hatch
cast the Sanctus bell, and in 1759, Lester and Pack added a new treble. In 1798,
Edward Hasted described the Bethersden church as consisting of ‘three isles and three
chancels, having a tower steeple, with a beacon turret, in which are six bells’.
The Victorians carried out some restoration work in 1851 with new oak pews, removal
of the rood screen and a new east window…. more