Aylesham comes from the Old English ‘ham’ meaning a ‘farm, homestead’ combined with
a personal name; therefore ‘Ægel’s homestead’.
For centuries, Aylesham had been just open fields. Then in 1926, Dorman and Long
designed a village to house miners working at the, already established, Snowdown
colliery and the newly sunk shaft at Adisham. Following the general strike miners,
who were in fear of losing their jobs, moved from all parts of the UK, especially
the coalfield's in Scotland, Wales and the north of England, to the newly developing
Aylesham church is dedicated to Saint Peter and built by Dorman and Long in the 1920’s
as a combined church and hall.